With the election drawing near, here are my favorite interesting facts involving the "leader of the free world".
7. Fourteen Presidents served as vice presidents: J. Adams, Jefferson, Van Buren, Tyler, Fillmore, A. Johnson, Arthur, T. Roosevelt, Coolidge, Truman, Nixon, L. Johnson, Ford, and George Bush.
6. The tallest president was Lincoln at 6'4"; at 5'4", Madison was the shortest.
5. The ancestry of all 43 presidents is limited to the following seven heritages, or some combination thereof: Dutch, English, Irish, Scottish, Welsh, Swiss, or German.
4. Jame Buchanan was the only president never to marry. Five presidents remarried after the death of their first wives——two of whom, Tyler and Wilson, remarried while in the White House. Reagan was the only divorced president. Six presidents had no children. Tyler——father of fifteen——had the most.
3. Presidents Adams, Jefferson, and Monroe all died on the 4th of July; Coolidge was born on that day.
2. For two years out country was run by two people who were not elected. After Vice President Spiro T. Agnew resigned in 1973, President Nixon appointed Gerald Ford as vice president. Nixon resigned the following year, which left Ford as president, and Ford's appointed vice president, Nelson Rockefeller, as second in line.
1. 23% of presidents have had assassination attempts made against them, 40% of those were successful (I don't like those odds). Presidents Lincoln, Garfield, McKinley, and Kennedy were assassinated in office. Assassination attempts were made on the lives of Jackson, T. Roosevelt, F. Roosevelt, Truman, Ford, and Reagan.
Above info based on http://www.littleknownfactsshow.com/presidents.html