7.26.2008

I Want to Bet on Human Racing Not Horse Racing or Why Can't I Think of Another Way To Make Track & Field Popular?



I think I have a great idea. It all stems from watching the U.S. Olympic Trials on USA network a couple weeks ago. There were some of the most exciting sports moments I have ever seen. In the men and women's 100, 200, and 400 people were diving and tripping over the line. All that to pick up 3rd place and have a chance of competing in the Beijing Olympic Games. That is for third place! It's very exciting to have that Olympic dream but all I could think about the whole time is why can't I place a 3-1-6 trifecta on those runners.

I am not a big gambler but who doesn't enjoy a good old fashion race with a few bucks riding on it. I don't know if there is a law or anything preventing this, frankly I don't really care enough to look into it. Wouldn't this be fun though. Horses are easily injured, they are taken advantage of by humans, and really what motivation do they have to win. I'll tell you what motivation pro track athletes would have, cold hard cash. The money in horse racing all goes to trainers, owners, and jockeys (the athlete??). I feel that runners are true athletes. They deserve to be recognized on a national level more than once every four years. There is not a special skill set, everyone can run, just not as well as these super-athletes. It would be fantastic to give this sport the visibility it deserves and maybe let the athletes (and fans) make a few bucks along the way.

If some rich guy could please make this happen and give me the credit, that'd be great.


Digg!

No comments: